It’s easy to second guess yourself when evaluating square footage. Real estate professionals come across their share of *ahem* interesting layouts, but the REcolorado Square Footage Companion helps clear things up. In addition to the reference document, here are four things to keep in mind.
1. Use the Property Type and Subtype Guide. In the new REcolorado Matrix, the Property Type you select during dynamic listing input will determine which Property Subtype and Structure Type options are available. To ensure you are entering the most accurate listing information which will, in turn, make everyone’s search results in REcolorado Matrix more accurate, be sure to reference the Dictionary of Property Types.
2. Determine the number of above grade levels that the main structure of the property has. The number of levels there are in a home whether it be 1, 2, 3+, B-Level, Tri-Level or Mulit/Split will help you determine the Above Grade Finished Area, Living Area, and Building Area Total.
3. There are three required square footage fields in REcolorado Matrix.
- Above Grade Finished Area (SqFt Above): Above grade and partially above grade finished square footage.
- Living Area (SqFt Finished): All finished square footage of the property, including the basement if finished.
- Building Area Total (SqFt Total): All finished and unfinished square footage of the property, including all levels and the basement. The total area within the structure.
4. Don’t let basements trick you.
The new REcolorado Matrix now includes required the Basement Yes/No field that you can use to indicate if the property has a basement. Below Grade Finished Area and Below Grade Unfinished Area are calculated automatically based on previous required square footage field entries. Be sure to indicate basement features, Full, Partial, Standard/Interior Entry, Garden Level, Walk-Out Access, Unfinished, and more.
Pro Tip: Bi-Level homes will never have a basement, but Tri-Level homes could.
Have questions about square footage? Please do not hesitate to contact our Customer Care team at support@REcolorado.com or 303.850.9576, option 1.