You’ve probably heard the old saying that it only takes one showing to sell a home. In truth, it can take many showings. The key to a successful showing process, whether you’re the listing agent or the buyer’s agent, is completing the prep work.
When entering your listing into the MLS, be sure to:
Use the Showing Notes and Broker Remarks fields
Use these fields in Matrix to let buyer’s agents know of any restrictions or limitations on showings. For example, some sellers might want a two-hour notice before a showing or could even request no showings on Saturday’s during college football season. Whatever the reason, noting it in the Showing Notes and Broker Remarks fields means you’re helping buyer’s agents plan their showing routes accordingly.
Use the No Showings Until
You can use this field to designate when showings will start if the house will not be available for showings as soon as you make it active.
Add driving directions
Add driving directions into the Matrix Directions field, even if you think your listing is easy to find. GPS systems sometimes fail, so having the directions handy can really help a buyer’s agent and their client.
Activate your showing service account
Be sure to activate your account with one of the showing schedulers—ShowingTime or CSS. To check, you can click the Manage ShowingCSS option in Matrix Listing Input, or the ShowingTime button from Product Quick Access panel of your REcolorado CONNECT dashboard.
Other things to note
- Showing services display some listing information, but not all. If you’ve put info about restrictions into the Matrix Showing Notes field, be sure to add that directly into your showing service’s system using the correct fields and methods.
- Avoid delays! Always add the showing info first before making your listing active. When done the other way around, it can take an hour or more for the showing service icon to display on your listing in the MLS.
- Showing Notes, Broker Remarks, and No Showings Until are broker-only fields that are not displayed in the Client Portal or on Public displays. REcolorado MLS rules specify that all Active status listings must be available for showings, unless restrictions are disclosed in the MLS.
When preparing a showing schedule for your clients, be sure to:
Use the Matrix Directions tool
Use the Directions tool to plan your showing route before you call or schedule your showings online. The tool gives you turn-by-turn directions, with estimated distance and travel times. You can even add a starting point or stop along the way and print or email the directions to yourself and to your client. How To Generate Driving Directions >>
Review general etiquette
- Be courteous and on time for your showing. If you are running late, call the showing service or listing agent to confirm it is still okay to show the house. If requested, or if there is inclement weather, remove shoes.
- Close and lock all doors when leaving, turn off lights, and leave the property as you found it.
- Leave your business card so that the owners and listing agent know exactly who was in the property.
- If there are pets, be aware, and do not let them out.
- Take your time to carefully show the house but be careful not to overstay your welcome. Sitting at the seller’s dining table having coffee is fine, but only if you are writing out the contract to buy that house.